van Dijk, L.(free)
The degradation by anaerobic digestion of waste activated sludge (WAS) can be
improved by the novel TurboTec® continuous thermal hydrolysis process (c-THP)
developed by the Dutch contractor Sustec. The first full scale plant was started up in the
beginning of 2013 at the WWTP Venlo in the Netherlands. During this initial start-up some
serious scale-up problems were encountered such as severe steam hammer,
unexpected high pressure drops and poor heat transfer. These experiences triggered the
development of an adapted flow scheme including a new process for heat transfer.
The performance of the new system is presented in terms of required pre-treatment
(dewatering), overall energy demand and steam demand in particular, digester
behaviour ( biogas production and VSS-reduction) and the effect on final dewatering.
The data are derived from the plant in Venlo (7000 t TSS/y), where the system is operated
since April 2014. Furthermore, a brief introduction is paid to the second full-scale plant at
WWTP Apeldoorn (13.000 t TSS/y).
The Biosolids conference attracts the most authoritative global experts in the area of biosolids and organic resource handling, treatment and recycling. The programme covers both the latest innovations and updates of existing technologies. Presentations from respected industry experts and newcomers follow the development of technologies and legislation from inception to full-scale installations.
The conference regularly gathers over 200 delegates from all over Europe, many of them return every year both for the technical presentations and fantastic networking opportunities.
Regular conference themes include:
• Thickening and Dewatering
• Modelling Sludge Handling and Utilisation
• Commissioning and Operating Experiences with Thermal Hydrolysis
• Tackling Potential Odour Problems
• Operating Experiences and Potential Problems in Digester Operation
• Ensuring Optimum Energy Recovery from Biogas
• Liquor Treatment and P Removal
• Alternative Products from Sludge
• Enhancing the Value of Biosolids and Digestate
• Pathogens and Pollutants In Digestate
• Sharing Experiences